Friday, January 27, 2006

Rainmaking

I was in court this morning, telling one of my clients I was able to get him out of jail for another chance. Another guy in custody overheard the good news and asked:
"Hey, will you be my lawyer?"
After determining that the judge had already passed him to give him time to hire counsel, I told him, "Maybe," figuring that the judge will probably appoint us if the guy can't get counsel.
He told me, "My family's outside, if you go talk to them, they can give you some cash today."
Me: "I can't take cash."
Him: "Then they'll give you a check, then."
Me: "No, I can't take any money; I'm a Public Defender."
Him: "Oh Man!....[pause].... I thought you was a lawyer!"

Jack

Update: for those of you coming from ambivalent imbroglio, I've geeked out on this subject before, trying to answer the same simultaneously sad and funny/ laugh so as not to cry issue ai raised.

1 Comments:

Blogger WomanoftheLaw said...

On a first date a guy asked me, "So are you a lawyer, or are you a public defender?" Just this week, I was in court and a defendant was in a discussion with a court officer and said, "No no, I don't have a public defender, I have a lawyer." Without missing a beat, the court officer said, "The public defenders ARE lawyers." Which was nice of her to say. I can't stand it when I walk through the courtrooms or the pens and people address me by the name of my office, as though the name of my office is not just my job but also my name.

1/28/2006 2:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home