Thursday, August 18, 2005

Incompetent(cy) Ramble

This is a section from a Japanese propaganda pamphlet from WWII advising American soldiers of the things they MUST NOT DO or else they will be sent home from the war for mental health reasons. Wink, wink, nudge nudge...

Ironically, the standards for being too crazy to kill someone in war are a lot lower that the standards for being sent to prison for acts done while seriously mentally ill. Cf. Guthrie v. Shrink, 1 Alice's Restaurant at 8:40 (1967)

Unfortunately, malingering rarely works for our clients, and they'd have to do a hell of a lot better than what's in the pamphlet, given the applicable standards:

Doc: Your attorney's name is Jack. Do you know who your attorney is?

Client: I think his name's Jack.

Doc: Good. And there will be a person a black robe; that's the judge, and a person in a grey suit; that's the prosecutor. You understand that, right?

Client: Yes.

Doc: Good. And you're charged with A, B, and C, right? Now, what are you charged with?

Client: A, B and D?

Doc: Good, and you feel that you can talk with Jack about your case?

Client: Yes, so long as the pigeons that tell me to poop in my pants won't be there...

Doc: Congratulations! You're competent!

(no, it's not really that egregious, but sometimes it feels like it)

2 Comments:

Blogger Alex said...

Hey there. This is Alex from meth mouth. Can you drop me a line when you have a sec re your comment on the Oklahoma cocaine prosecutions. Just want to get some more info. I'm at coolmana(at)gmail.com. Gracias.

8/19/2005 10:53 AM  
Blogger Sancho said...

Good stuff...Where did you find this little gem anyhow? I must say that #12 is my favorite...I quite often imagine my neighbor as a goat.

Don't ask me why.

8/20/2005 12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home